Sunday, March 18, 2012

Irish Soda Bread, and other things that are not Hawaiian

"Please stand up and tell the class what you learned about your ancestry, or where your family comes from, Maggie." In retrospect, this question is terrifically problematic and likely highlighted the incredible cultural and racial privilege in the room. I slipped out of my seat, stood tall in my overalls and told my whole 2nd grade class about how my family came from Hawaii. I rocketed into a spirited tale about trips to the Big Island, the Aloha shirts, the ukulele music in Grandpa's van. My prose sunk my classmates' feet into hot sand and their fingertips into the ocean.

When I got home from school I announced to my family that I had given a spectacular speech, and that I would most likely be [the first Hawaiian] president one day because of my superior speech-giving skills.

"Our family isn't from Hawaii, Maggie. We are mostly from parts of Europe. Like England, Wales, and Germany."  My heart sank into my stiff overalls. But the trip! The shirts! And the music! "We just like to visit Hawaii sometimes."

My confusion was born out of my Grandfather's adoration of all things Hawaiian. Mostly, I think he just loved delicious things. Portuguese sausage, Kalua pork, spam (arguably not delicious). And beautiful things. The ocean, thick valleys, ukulele music. Turns out, he loved St. Patrick's Day like he loved Hawaii--he was not in the least bit Irish, but dove into corned beef and Scotch whisky like I dove into that 2nd grade speech. With curious gusto, and a need for the extraordinary.

While this Irish Soda Bread is not one I can claim has authenticity, I can promise you that I would have gladly baked some up to share with my not-so-Irish, not-at-all-Hawaiian, but-still-wonderful Grandfather. It is simple--no rising, punching or waiting. Just some fragrant caraway, gently sweet currants and a golden crust. Best if enjoyed with those who love all things delicious and beautiful.

Irish Soda Bread
Serves many
1/2 cup white sugar

  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 cups currants 
  • 1 tsp. grated orange zest


Set your oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-10 in. round cake pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and caraway seeds.

In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream until combined into a delicious slurry.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring with your favorite wooden spoon until just combined. Add your currants and orange zest, then give a few more stirs. The dough will be delightfully sticky, so do not fear. Place your dough into the prepared pan. Cut an X into the top of your dough (about 1in. deep) so it can breathe and grow.

Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack. Slice or tear into hunks. Serve with corned beef and Scotch whisky. Or maybe Kalua pork and a Mai Tai.

No comments:

Post a Comment